Saturday, January 30, 2010

A new beginning

Wow! I can sleep again! It's glorious! I haven't been allowed to sleep like this for months! I've been in my pajamas all weekend, pain free without the use of meds for the first time in a long time, and catching up on my dreams. It's good to dream again. I've actually been off of the pain meds for several days and the feeling of recovery has been growing for even longer than that, but it is only just now starting to "sink in". I've been fearful of disappointment.

The hormone therapy seems to be working just as it should, it has given me my life back. I don't know how long that is going to be, but realistically is there any way of knowing how long any of us have? Yes, I have been given an accelerated time frame in that regard but right now that only serves to strengthen my resolve and inspire me to get back to the business of living, and now that I have been given the ability to do that, through this treatment, I can't wait to get started! I may be living on borrowed time but at least I am living, and I plan on paying it forward instead of back.

I am going to continue to spread the word of my story to any one who will listen with the hope that it will help prevent this cancer from occurring in as many men as possible. Beyond that, I am also looking forward to becoming involved with a charitable organization that not only raises awareness but also helps people like me cover the cost of the hormone treatment. The needles required every three months cost $1400.00 each and the daily pills cost $425.00 for three months worth, over $7000.00 annually. Without a good drug plan that can be a huge hit for a lot of people and if it can do for someone else what it's doing for me than I want to help to make it available to as many people as possible. If I can't find an organization that I can "piggyback" onto, one that does what I see needs doing, then I will start my own, something that I'm familiar with, a charitable annual motorcycle ride.

In the meantime, I'm going back to work (modified duties and schedule, I'm not going to rush it) and begin to rebuild my social life by finding someone to share it with me (modified duties and schedule, I'm not going to rush it).

I will continue to post here, although I'm not sure what I will say. However, I have been told, on occasion, that I can be quite verbose so I'm sure I'll think of something.

7 comments:

  1. This blog posting just made me smile!!

    I am very happy to hear that you are feeling much better,having better sleeps and that your life is getting back on track.

    I wish nothing but the best for you and i pray you continue to be on the up and up!!

    Love ya!
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read the whole thing start to finish, you are an inspiration & it is awesome to know after reading of the hell you have been through that you are feeling so much better & it was wonderful to read all of this & seeing that your terrific sense of humour is still intact through all of this, one of the things that I love about you....see ya soon, love you tons xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so proud of our son and the couragious battle he is fighting. His support and prayers from family and friends has hopefully made this journey a little easier. We hope his strength will be an inspiration to anyone who is going through any 'battle' in this life.
    Luv ya!
    Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anthony!

    You continue to be an inspiration & astound me with your positive attitude towards this!

    I know you've been an inspiration to Ken (my fiance), as I sent him the link to your blog & after I got home that evening, I told him "You make the Dr's appt, or I WILL!"...Ken proceeded to tell me "Too late! I've already made the appt!". This is what you've inspired. And if you've inspired one, especially Ken, I'm SURE you've inspired many, many more that have read this and all I can say for that is THANK YOU!

    You're certainly one of the most courageous people I've met in a long time!

    Take care & keep getting better!
    Ainsley
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Anthony,

    I think an annual charitable motorcycle ride is a pretty cool idea! If you need help with it now or in the future let me know, I would love to volunteer my time to be a part of such a worthy cause!

    Glad to see you are feeling better. Take Care!

    -Darren

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very glad to know you are feeling better it shows!!!My best is with you always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I may be living on borrowed time but at least I am living, and I plan on paying it forward instead of back."

    Profound wisdom. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete