Saturday, September 25, 2010

And now, for something a little more positive.

As I continue with this adventure that we call life, I am still amazed at how some things just sort of come together at the strangest times and places.
Here I am fighting for my life, fighting a battle that will continue for my remaining days on this planet. [A battle that I hope lasts for a very long time.] It cause me a lot of pain and I know it will ultimately not end in my favor, and yet, in the midst of it I have found something that makes my life better than I had ever imagined it could be.
I have found love.
The kind of love that I never dreamed was possible.  Strong, true, and unconditional.  Love that I had believed (until now) could only occur in Families, through blood.  I have never felt so much passion for another human being as I do right now, so much comfort, so much joy, for a very special woman who feels the same thing for me. It's a strange feeling to be going through the kind of tribulation that I am right now and still feel like I'm the luckiest man alive!  I wish that everyone could find what we have found.  It's the most amazing thing ever! Everyone should be so fortunate as to find this kind of happiness and I can't believe that I almost didn't let it happen!  I owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to all of the people who advised me to take the chance, irrespective of my fears, (you know who you are) to all of you I say; thank you.  From the bottom of my heart, I thank you for helping  to convince me that I should not let an opportunity like this pass me by, regardless of my current health concerns.

K and I have marveled at what we have together and discussed it at great length.  We have determined that the key, or secret  if you will, to our happiness is really quite simple; we love each other for the people that we are, not for the "potential" that we may see in each other for change that would allegedly make things even better between us. In the past, we have both been guilty of nurturing relationships with people that were essentially based on the hope that if we stuck around long enough we could eventually effect change in the other person, we could "fix" them,  if just given enough time.  It's a common mistake, many people make it, but we seem to have learned from those experiences and also are lucky enough to not really want to change each other anyway.  We accept and love each other "as is". Faults (which are few) and strengths (which are many) combined.  We have a mutual respect and trust for each other that is almost scary.  There is no jealousy, there is no judgement, there is no selfishness.  There is only love and companionship. 

I believe that love is the most powerful force on this earth!  It is so powerful that we often find ourselves being afraid to discuss it or uncomfortable even saying it.  Think about it; when was the last time you told someone who is close to you in your life that you love them?  I'm not just talking about significant others, I'm talking about your Parents, your Children, your Friends.  The people that matter to you.  If it's been a while then you should start doing it. Take it from me, it feels good.  It brings people together in a way that nothing else can. I feel it from (and return it to) all of my friends and Family.  It gives us strength and inspires us to live our lives to the fullest. It's the closest thing to magic that we have in this plane of existence.
It makes us smile, it makes us frown.  It makes us laugh and it makes us cry.
Maybe it can even cure cancer.
I am grateful to have so much love in my life. I believe that without it, I might already be dead.

1 comment: