Monday, March 22, 2010

My Parents.

My parents are proud of me.

I know this because they have told me so, and I believe it, because their actions have also told me so.
I believe it comes partially from the fact that I am "breaking with tradition" and doing it my way because they couldn't, because their parents would not allow it. (or should I say "condone" it, I'm not sure.) It's a testament to them because they are allowing ME to do it. (Okay, enough with all the"because's" already)

My parents have never forced me to do anything. What they did do was enforce the rules, (which were always negotiable) strictly, and fairly. They both have their own belief systems and ideas about how life should be lived, but neither one of them tried to impose it upon me, or indoctrinate me into what they "believed" I needed to "believe" in order to survive. [Although, my Father has tried to get me onto the "God" train, and I was even on it for a little while; but I don't begrudge him that because he gave me an early education in something I might otherwise not have sought out on my own until it was too late, and then felt compelled to believe in, because of the proximity that I found myself to my own demise.] (Sorry Dad.) They have led by example, living their lives the way they want to, irrespective of what the rest of the world might think. (including their parents)

But even my Father's attempts at "brainwashing" me began to abate after time, because he realized that I was forming my own ideas and opinions and he wanted me to explore them. He is still that way now, both of them are. (Although, my Mother never tried to "brainwash" me) We have grand and sometimes heated debates, but they always end with a smile and the knowledge that we still love each other because we are Family, and that's what Families do. They have allowed me to educate myself, but still always telling me what they think, so I can reap the benefits of their experience.
I have been able to pursue ALL of the things that ever interested me in life, without any fear of ever hearing the words, "you'll never be any good at that", or, "that's impossible". Because they have always tried to be good at "that" and still believe that anything is possible. It is what they are, and who they are, that has taught me that I can be anybody I want to be. They gave me a freedom that their parents never did. (although my Mum's Mum seems pretty cool, but what do I know, I wasn't there when she was young. lol) The freedom to figure it out for myself, always under their watchful and caring eyes, ready to jump in on a moments notice if it was required, but even then, only to help and guide, not to "take charge" and set things right. If I fucked up, I had to fix it, or I had to live with it. I created the problem, therefore, it was mine, and all they could do was offer advice on how they felt I could best resolve it, and they never passed judgement on whatever decision I ultimately came to, even if it went against the advice that they had given me. They simply accepted it, and we carried on with our lives.
It is brilliant parenting.
They have allowed me to grow, instead of trying to mold me.
If I ever do write a book before I die I think it should be based on their parenting skills. I believe a lot of Families could benefit by following their example.

I love you Mom and Dad. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful testimony. I think good parenting is a rare thing these days. You were truly blessed in this.

    ReplyDelete