My kids...I love them.
In chronological order they are; Mike, Ryan, Alexandra, Aidan.
They are the grounding point that I have required in order to make it through all of this. They are the ones who offer me unconditional love at all times, irrespective of what kind of mood I might be in. They are quick to forgive, and eager to please. What more could someone want from another person? And I have four of them. It is the most amazing thing that I have found in this existence.
I witnessed all of their births (except Alexandra's, but that was logistically impossible so I don't worry about that too much, but I still wish for it) and they were, without question, the closest thing to a miracle that I have ever witnessed, each and every one of them. Equally, but in their own way. I continue to witness those miracles because they are still growing and changing (I hope they never stop) from infant to toddler, child to adolescent, and into adulthood. It's an astounding thing to watch a life form grow like that, particularly when they are your sires. [For those of you who don't have kids and don't get it: Eat chain! Go have some kids and then you will.] As with all living things, the stages of growth are so gradual that they sometimes go unnoticed, at least to the "familiar" eye, and then seem so sudden when they reach their apex that it can sometimes bring shock and awe. Which leads them into the next stage and then it starts all over again.
It's a never ending adventure for me.
Children are more entertaining than T.V. (and much more creative). They are always putting a new spin on things that we've been dealing with for so long that our perspectives have been jaded by our experience. Sometimes they are the teachers and I am the student. I learn something new from one of them everyday. Sometimes they teach me by simply reminding me of things that I've forgotten. Important things, like how to laugh and play; to have some fun and not be so serious all of the time. Sometimes I have to give the "Father" role a rest, and just be "Dad".
Those are good times, it is what makes life worth living, for me at least. I cherish every moment that I spend with each of them.
Even the rough ones.
Also, because they are "being raised" by me, they make all kinds of esoteric references that thoroughly entertain me but nobody else gives a rat's rectum about. I think that's why a lot people don't want to hear stories about "other peoples kids", it bores them to tears because they don't get the joke.
I love being able to get the joke, and am glad to have such able teachers.
I worry about not living long enough to see them all into adulthood (as do they) but I worry more about the quality of the experience that they are having with me right now, because the experiences that we are having now will eventually be their memories of me, and I want them to be good ones.
My children are my legacy. I don't want them "talking shit" about me after I'm gone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You made me cry, again...absolutely beautiful!
ReplyDelete