A medical update: The results of the bone scan and latest bloodwork indicate that my current medication [the stuff that's supposed to be fighting the cancer] is not working as we had hoped. My options are running out. My Oncologist says that my next move is either chemotherapy or radiation. He favors chemo, however, because of my upcoming trip he is reluctant to begin either treatment. The radiation would have to be done in a scheduled manner which conflicts with the trip and the chemo would weaken my immune system and pose a possible threat to my health given that the Dominican doesn't have quite the same health standards as we do in North America. Nor do they have a health system that is comparable, which would increase the risk to me even further.
In light of all of this, he decided to try a new medication, something to "tide me over" until after the trip. That transition has not gone well. I began taking the new medication on Friday. Saturday the pain started, similar to the pain I have described here in the past, and the numbness in my face has increased to the point where I have to be careful when I'm chewing my food or I might chew up the inside of my mouth because I can't feel it. Last night I phoned Sunnybrook and spoke to a Doctor who was able to give me a new regimen for pain control based on the meds that I currently have, and so far, it appears to be working, which is good, because I really hate the fucking pain. I am currently waiting for a phone call from my oncologist. He will probably adjust the dosage of my new meds and I will watch for (and record) any changes that occur.
The battle [which is feeling more like an experiment than a fight] will continue.
So, there's the news...the weather is next. Stay tuned.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment